Sunday, March 2, 2014

Highs and Lows

So I'm not sure why, but I decided that February was the month to completely get rid of Hayes's bottle addiction. It was just one of those casual thoughts I had, like maybe I'll get rid of all processed food in our pantry. It doesn't mean it will ever actually happen, just a good thought. Unfortunately I voiced my idea to James and he held me to it.

In full disclosure, Hayes was down to one bottle a day, but that one bottle would make or break our day. It had to be ready as soon as his feet his the floor, heated to the perfect temperature and served while sitting on our bed with his bear. It got to the point where he reminded me of a small dictator whom we would carry to his dining quarters and wait patiently for the verdict. Many mornings he would shake his head and wave his arms as if to say, "Away from me you servants! My morning bottle is not right! Try again!" (He comes by this honestly. I'm not a morning person either.)

Here are the last pictures of Hayes and his Bah!







Ultimately we all survived. Please pray for us as we tackle the pacifier in a couple of months, or twenty. All I know, is he's an addict and not going to go down without a fight! Seriously...when we leave for school, he waves and blows his pacifier (hathie as he calls it) a kiss and as soon as we get home, he gives it a big hug and doesn't let it out of his sight. Hello, my name is Hayes and I have a problem.

Being a mama of a toddler has the highest highs and the lowest lows and for me they happen multiple times a day. Hayes had a really bad case of strep throat earlier in the month and it kept him down and out for a solid week. What started out as a slight fever (which I thought would just run its course), turned into full blown strep (yep...mom of the year). We finally discovered what it was like to have a child who just wants to stay on the couch and cuddle. Once we found out it was just strep and he would survive, we soaked up every minute of our calm little boy. 






The nice thing about being out of school for a week is that all the ladies miss you. Well, there are only two girls in his class and it appears that he was missed by one. Fifty percent isn't bad though!




Lately, Hayes and I have been having major showdowns over snacks (or nacks as he calls them). If I let him, his diet would consist of a few crackers, a handful of chips, and a large bowl of popcorn. (Basically the bar food diet.) I realized he was gaining control when one day he walked out of the pantry with a bottle of syrup, a spoon and a hopeful look in his eyes. I typically live by the motto, "don't anger it."; but decided enough was enough and told him no. The meltdown that ensued was legendary. I let him cry it out in his bedroom and I may or may not have self medicated with a glass of wine and some bar food. The irony was not lost on me.

Welcome terrible twos, I'm not going down without a fight!

And just when I think I'll never survive the toddler years, he does something that just melts my heart. Every night before bed James and I pray with him and usually he just stares at us and grins. The past few nights he has folded his hands in prayer and then said may-men (Amen). Oh my heart.


And speaking of highs and lows, prayers and self medication; James went on his last hunt of the season.

(Disclaimer...this picture might be hard for some to see. Me especially). Please Lord, give me strength. And NO! That's not going on our wall. May-Men.




No comments:

Post a Comment