Saturday, May 21, 2011

I've got the Beiber

Well Justin Bieber is here in Barcelona and he is staying at our hotel. Last night when we got back to the hotel, there was a large group of teenage girls screaming outside the hotel for Justin and singing his songs. I just want to know where this kid came from and does it make me old that I do not know why is he famous for this particular fifteen minutes?

Enough on that. Barcelona is beautiful. It reminds me of Miami Beach blended in with old world, gothic architecture. Our hotel is a Ritz Carlton overlooking Port Olympic on the Mediterranean. The beaches are sandy and surrounded by marinas full of sail boats.



Today was such a beautiful day that James and I decided to take a jog on the boardwalk. It was about a mile into the run that I realized clothing was optional on the beach and boardwalk. I ran past a tan man in his 80's completely nude. Seriously...not a tan line on him!! There he was in all his glory walking down the boardwalk without a care in the world. It was a train wreck and this awful image is seared into my memory!

The cooking class was amazing. We took a bus to the Boqueria Market, which is an open-air market that has been around since the 13th century. Each booth is family owned and passed down from generation to generation. We saw everything from ham legs hanging from the top of the booths, to barnacles from Northern Spain. All the fish that is at the market still has the heads on them. Our tour guide said that this is how people can tell how fresh the fish really is. We bought a ham and cheese crepe that was yummy.





We then headed to La Fitora restaurant to learn how to cook homemade paella. Paella is the most famous authentic national dish of Spain. The restaurant is right on the water and cooking stations were set up outside. It was a nice comfortable day, perfect for outside cooking. While we were making our Paella's, waiters served tapas and sangria. Afterwards, our food was judged and we were all served everybody's paella with wine and coffee on the harbor. So fun!








Tomorrow I'll update yall on  our dinner, the bidet in our bathroom and skyping with mom and dad. That experience just makes me laugh! On a side note...the Europeans dress like it's 1983! I wish I spoke better Spanish so I could warn them of the horrors that are shoulder pads and Aqua net.

Adios!
The Barnett's

No comments:

Post a Comment