Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I want to check you for ticks - Part One

One of my dearest friends got married last weekend in her home town of Greensboro, Alabama. This small town has a population of 2,500 people and over 20,000 deer (according to Barneystone, Inc.'s deer expert, who may or may not also be our IT guy and full time maintenance man).

Since there are only two hotels and one Bed and Breakfast in Greensboro, reservations filled up FAST! And since I could take first place in a procrastination contest (assuming there was such a thing and I registered in time), everything was full when I went to make our reservations.

Barney agreed to drive me, Carrie, and Cheryle back and forth from Greensboro to Birmingham for the rehearsal dinner on Friday and the wedding on Saturday because he's a great guy, and because he just bought a new ride; but mainly because he hunts around Greensboro and really wanted to take us on a tour of his favorite diners. I don't think he fully understood what that many hours in the car with the three of us would entail, but I do know he'd learn a lot about what we may or may not wear that weekend, get briefed on the "bangs or no bangs" debate, and lose all control of the radio.

However, God was smiling down on him that day and the bride (Amanda) made a quick call to Greensboro and booked us an all expense paid stay at a hunting lodge just 10 miles from the church. Then she said, "if y'all get to shoot something, I'm going to be ticked." I'm not sure what "something" means, but apparently Amanda has us confused with girls who like to shoot things just for the heck of it. This might comes as a shock to you, sweet friend, but I don't do camo.

After I assured Amanda that Cheryle, Carrie, nor I planned on shooting anything on her wedding weekend, I called James and informed him of our new accommodations. Y'all, he was so excited you would have thought it was opening day of hunting season and a TV viewing marathon of Swap People. In other words, He Was Giddy!

So, we loaded up the car on Friday afternoon and made the two hour drive to Greensboro, the Catfish Capital of Alabama.

I wonder if this sign draws in many tourists for the Catfish Festival?

The rehearsal was fun and sweet, but the rehearsal dinner was fantastic. It was at a little slice of heaven called Pie Lab.



Dinner was BBQ pork and chicken, baked beans, potato salad and sweet tea. Everything was so good, but dessert took the cake, I mean pie! There was every type of pie you could think of...blueberry pie, strawberry pie, apple pie, peanut butter pie, blackberry pie, strawberry and rhubarb pie, and chocolate pie. It was the Bubba Gump of pies.




Around 8:00 we realized that the party was dying down so we took 1,852 pictures with Amanda, said a prayer with her for the big day, and hightailed to our hunting camp.


But not before we stopped at the Family Dollar for necessities (coffee). Since it was fairly early and apparently the city shuts down at 8:15, I asked James to buy a bottle of their best wine so we could have a glass while we played cards that evening.

He got back in the car with water, cheese-its, coffee and creamer, but no wine. I asked what happened and he laughed and said the check out lady stated matter of factly, "Good Lawd, if we sold wine here we'd be drunk ALL the time." To which I replied, "so...no wine??"

We made it to the camp with no problems. I admit that I was a little anxious since I'm not a big fan of the unknown, but let me tell you how pleasantly surprised I was with our accommodations for the evening. It was a cute little two bedroom cabin on a ton of land and was very clean. The only changes I would have made would have been the two deer that apparently were having a grand time running through the field when they suddenly crashed through the cabin wall and stayed and the unidentifiable bath mat.





I don't even want to speculate what this rug once was, so I'm going to pretend that it is a faux animal rug from Restoration Hardware. What I can tell you for certain is, the color on my toes is OPI - Red My Fortune Cookie.

Since we were so far away from any civilization (10 miles), we got to choose from Alabama Public Television or the local news for background noise. As you can see from the photo below, APT won out!

We changed into our PJ's, grabbed our water and cheese-its and played a mean game of Phase 10.



About 11:00, we called it a night. James and I climbed into our double bed, which may seem luxurious to some, but James is 6'4 and I need my space when I sleep. (I also need a glass of water, my chapstick and about three extra pillows. I'm a high maintenance sleeper.) James fell asleep right away and I stared at the deer over my bed  for about 20 minutes and decided that I'd also add blinds and curtains to my list of redecorating ideas.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment