Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Birthday Bingo

In keeping with tradition, I had big plans to spend this birthday staring into my bathroom mirror, counting the new sun spots on my face, vowing to the maker's of Oil of Olay that I will start bathing in their product, and wondering if James will let me take a road trip to find the Fountain of Youth (or maybe just to a clinic that specializes in Botox).  

Apparently Barney had other plans for my big day.

In early May, I received an email titled "AM's Birthday Celebration - Bingo" from my new husband. I soon discovered that he invited a few of my friends to a dinner buffet and an hour of bingo at "The Club" to celebrate my birth. At first I laughed at the thought of my sweet girlfriends playing bingo with a bunch of competitive 80 year olds and then I turned all crazy and thought..."James thinks I'm older than dirt and should start spending my Wednesday evenings honing in on a new hobby that will serve me better than watching reruns of Criminal Minds."

So, I did what any other sane person would do, I finished reading the email, cursed the fact that he told people my real age, ran to the nearest mirror and searched for new gray hairs. 

(I had four...they have since been removed)

Yall may think this is a tad dramatic, but I come from a long line of woman who go crazy on their birthday's. My mother spent her 29th birthday locked in the bathroom, crying because she didn't have babies or a Master's Degree. Daddy spent all day trying to coax her out. I spent my 30th birthday on the hardwood floors of my living room, surrounded by birthday cards, crying  (the ugly cry) over the phone to my daddy, because I had a Master's Degree but no husband or children.  All dad said was, "Baby...I expected this call, but not at 2:00 in the morning." Bless his heart.

Turns out, James' email had no hidden agenda...he really did want to do something fun and different for my birthday. He succeeded! And truth be told, our bathroom is not big enough for  me and my girlfriends to crowd around the mirror and stare at the lines growing around my mouth. (I'm not sure how many people he could get to come to that freak show, I mean birthday party anyway.)

We had an amazing time. The food was fantastic, the company was better and the bluehairs spanked us in bingo.

Thanks Barnes, I think the girls and I now have a place to be on the last Wednesday of the month. Just don't forget to DVR Criminal Minds!
: )









No comments:

Post a Comment