Saturday, July 5, 2014

Born on the 6th of July

The month of May sucker punches me every year. I tried explaining it to my girlfriends the other night and the best description I could come up with is that it feels like my heart and lungs are in a vice and as the days tick by, my heart gets more raw and I find it harder to breath.

Our computer sorts pictures in folders by dates and I'll find myself going back to April and May of 2012. April 28th - James' birthday and Crawfish boil; May 7th - pictures of the finished nursery; May 13th - Mother's Day;  May 18th - Dan's graduation, May 19th - Graduation shrimp boil; May 24th - our birthday; and then a long pause. June 2nd - her funeral. As soon as it's too much to stomach, the next folders show proof that life goes on. June 16th - my baby shower; July 6th - the day I laid eyes on the most beautiful boy in the whole wide world. William Hayes Barnett


Why yes, yes he does look like Mr. Peanut.

So in honor of the month of May being over and the fact that my baby turns two tomorrow; I thought I'd share some stories from Casa de Barnett.

Pets
I bought Hayes a bug container because he and his daddy were using my mason jars to catch lightening bugs. This is what I found in his brand new bug catcher.


Yes, I know I shouldn't be specific on what kind of bugs he can catch in his Dollar Tree bug jar, but somehow lightening bugs are better than cicada shells. I mean...their butts light up! I tried to explain to Hayes that these were not really bugs but just the nasty remains of a grub that lives in the ground and comes out once every 17 years, much like what happened to the Egyptians and their numerous plagues. (Notice there were no plagues of lightening bugs in the Bible.) Hayes laughed and before I knew what was happening, James and I were helping find "pets" to add to his collection while he supervised our work.

Speaking of pets, Hayes went to a birthday party and acquired a goldfish that he promptly named Elmo. Now most animals that wander into our house (or a ten mile radius) basically hit the jackpot, but after I did a quick Google search on goldfish care, I realized that Elmo was going to wish that he was back with his friends at the pet store. Apparently goldfish need 50 to 100 gallons of water to roam (swim?) free and that is just not in the cards right now.


I took this video of Elmo camped out on his new perch while Hayes showed him all the various toys that are available when he decides to come out to play.


I think the the kid is a bit prophetic. I regret to inform y'all that Elmo did go "bye bye" and is no longer part of the Barnett family.

Biking
I decided to change up my workout routine because walking from the couch to the coffee pot was clearly not going to get my body swimsuit ready. James has a high-tech mountain bike which I thought would be perfect for an early morning workout at home. Mind you, I have not ridden a bike since I was the proud owner of a glittery blue Schwinn ten speed (circa 1988), but I threw caution and common sense to the wind, tossed on my workout clothes and sun-visor (no helmet for this professional) and took off for a spin around the neighborhood. I soon discovered that 1) our city, Vestavia Hills, got its name for a reason, 2) I do not have any clue how to work the gears on a mountain bike and therefore had to hop off and push the bike up a few of the hills since I was no longer moving in a forward direction and my thighs felt like they had been doused with gasoline and lit on fire and 3) mountain bikes do not have kickstands. Um...what in the world???

After I told James what I thought about his fancy bike (with words that are not suitable for the viewing public), I decided to get mama's sweet beach cruiser out of storage and give her a whirl. It was love at first ride!!

So if you're in Vestavia Hills on any given morning, you might see me on a baby blue Trek with white tropical flowers painted down each side. And while I still have to walk this bicycle up a hill or two, I don't have to worry about shifting gears or parking this beauty. Not only does she have a kickstand, she also has a front and back fender, a light, a wide cushion seat, and a bell! It is quite as attractive as you are imagining!!

All Boy
The other morning Hayes and I were laying in bed together watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse when he got up, walked over to me, put his head on my shoulder and tooted like a 300 pound man. What I thought was going to be a sweet mother/son moment was completely ruined when he started laughing and said, "Hayes tooted!" Really? Because I wasn't 100% sure.

As as further proof that he is clearly a gifted child, he can now toot on command, which makes James extremely proud. Ugh!! 

Father's Day
I had to send a picture of Hayes and James to his teacher because they were making a special gift for Father's Day. In typical fashion, I waited until the very last minute and expected photography gold. Instead, this is what I got:

Nope. Not this one. H is eating and saying cheese.
Too blurry. I blame the photographer.

Well, we can't see daddy. One more time.

Hayes is done! Oh no!! Yep, smacked daddy in the face.

Daddy trying to explain to H that it's not nice to smack people in the face.

Clearly taking his advice to heart.

And pure father's day gold!

So that is what's been going on here! I hope everybody had a great 4th of July and partied like it was 1984. I know we did!!



No comments:

Post a Comment