Sunday, October 16, 2011

Ireland Journal - Day Four

September 21, 2010 – Day Four
We got out of the house about 10:30 and made our way to the Cliffs of Moher. We decided to pack our lunch since we weren't sure of the accommodations. It was my turn to drive so we loaded up and headed out for the 45 minute trip.

While I'm finally getting use to driving on the left hand side of the road, I'm not use to staring down large vehicles as they pass me on the narrow rodes. Just my luck, the drive to the Cliffs was two lane the whole way and about twenty minutes into the drive an extremely large tour bus was on the opposite side of the rode coming straight at us. As soon as I saw the bus, I pulled as far over to the left as I could, tried to pull in the side mirrors , covered my eyes and curled in the fetal position. Everybody screamed but Carrie. She video taped it. Now that we're all alive and the car is unharmed we can laugh at the video. You can hear "Livin’ on a Prayer" playing in the background as I shakily say, "Sweet Mother! Y’all that tour bus was in my lane!!!"


Amanda decided that Livin’ on a Prayer was our theme song while we drive and Cheryle and I decided that we will slow to a stop for every vehicle coming at us, even a fat man on a bike. Cheryle said that an extra four inches on each side of the rode would make all the difference in the world, just like fur on a squirrel makes it "not a rat"!! Preach it sister!

We made it the Cliffs with only one casualty. AM - 1 Trash can - 0. No worries, Piecea was missing the cover of the side passenger mirror before we got her. Another redeeming quality!

The Cliffs were amazing!! We walked all the way to the top and the view was breath taking. It was very overcast and windy. I'm glad we brought layers because it was warm (60 degrees) when we left the house. The cliffs rise 700 feet at the highest point and range for 5 miles over the Atlantic Ocean.






At the top of the cliffs there was a gate and signs that said to not go any further, yet people were climbing over the wall and walking even further up a road to the edge of the cliffs. After seeing a memorial for all the people who have died at the Cliffs, Cheryle and I decided that driving was enough of a near death experience for us! Amanda and Carrie needed to live on the edge a little more. Literally!! They went just about a quarter of a mile up and took some amazing pictures.













We walked back to Piecea and made our ham sandwiches (out of the trunk) while two crows sat on our roof and watched us with excitement. When they started to get closer, we ran into the car with our food and slammed the doors. We ate our lunch while they pecked on the car roof!

We're heading to Limerick this afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment