Friday, August 19, 2011

September. Where Are You?

Y'all. Life has been so crazy here at Barneystone, Inc. that the last month has been a complete blur. I think my brain has exceeded it's maximum capacity and I'm afraid my body is soon to follow.

What's been going on you ask? Well to start, my sweet Barney threw out his back about a month ago while coughing. Yes, you heard me right. Coughing.

This tragic event happened about an hour before we were to host our last Sunday evening Bible study of the summer. But as they say in Hollywood, "The show must go on". (Meaning...it was too late to call everybody and cancel.) So I got James up off the floor and into his recliner, administered some left over pain pills that were probably out of date, got the house ready for guests, and made it through the final study by the skin of our teeth. I shouldn't say that. The evening went surprisingly well and James taught with a vigor that can only come from his gift of gab coupled with Loratab.

After we wrapped up for the night, one of James' friends helped me get him upstairs and into bed for the evening...or so we thought. When his pain just kept getting worse and nothing could make him comfortable, we decided to head to the emergency room. We came home at 2 AM with four prescriptions and two herniated discs. Not one of the prescriptions was for Valium. Dang.

After weeks of physical therapy and rest, J's back was finally on the mend until he re-herniated the discs this past Friday. Awesome...this means I get to add helping him put on his shoes and socks back to my daily duties.

(I have to admit that I did tight roll his jeans one night, because it was funny and really...what could he do to me? I could totally outrun his crippled butt.)

In addition to James' back, my mom had surgery in late July that didn't turn out like we had prayed for or planned. The news that she was going to have to have another surgery and a completely different treatment course felt like air being sucked out of a room. Completely deflating. I am happy and thankful to report that the second surgery was a success, but has been a much harder recovery. We have to remind mama that she had two major surgeries in three weeks and is not 29, no matter how many times she tells that to somebody. : )  

Last but not least, my mother in law had minor surgery on her leg about a month ago and pretty significant surgery on her elbow last Thursday. This surgery was more invasive that we thought and the recovery has not been the easiest either. Both of these women are so strong and steady so seeing them in pain is very difficult.

Dear July and August of 2011,

What did I ever do to you? You are dead to me.

Love,
AM

In all seriousness, I know that this is a trial and I know that we as a family are strong and faithful enough to fight it and win. The devil may come at us with all his weapons (for me that is fear, doubt and worry,) but my God is mightier.

Every chance I get I say this verse, "The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The Lord is with me. He is my helper. I will look in triumph on my enemies. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust man." Psalm 116:6-8

My God will fight for me. He will protect and heal my family. He is bigger than any disease, worry, pain, frustration and doubt. The battle is already won!

Please note that I had no pain pills to help me preach!

Love,
AM

No comments:

Post a Comment